|Ph.D Student||Korogodsky Gadi|
|Subject||Branched Polysilyl Anions and Their Applications to the|
Synthesis of Novel Silenes
|Department||Department of Chemistry||Supervisor||? 18? Yitzhak Apeloig|
The first stable silene (R2C=SiR2) was synthesized only in 1981 after decades of intensive unsuccessful attempts. Even today, despite intensive research, only a few methods for the synthesis of stable silenes are known. Moreover, despite several attempts no stable bis-silene has yet been reported.
This proposal is divided into two parts, the first dealing with silyl anions (actually silyl-alkali metal reagents) which are important reagents in silicon chemistry and the second deals with the preparation of novel silenes.
We studied the following specific projects:
1. The synthesis and determination of the molecular structure of branched oligosilyl anions and of the first branched oligosilyl dianion.
2. Determination of the solution acidity of tris-(trimethylsilyl)silane.
3. The effect of solvent and complexation on the sila-olefination reaction between a ketone and a silyl anion.
4. Attempts to synthesize silenes carrying long polysilicon chains.
5. Preparation and reactivity of the first known stable bis-silenes.
6. Synthesis of a functionalized silene.