טכניון מכון טכנולוגי לישראל
הטכניון מכון טכנולוגי לישראל - בית הספר ללימודי מוסמכים  
Ph.D Thesis
Ph.D StudentPortman Danny
SubjectInteraction of Supernova Ejecta with Asymmetrical
Circumstellar Matter
DepartmentDepartment of Physics
Supervisor Professor Noam Soker
Full Thesis textFull thesis text - English Version


Abstract

I perform hydrodynamic modelling and simulation of three supernova (SN) Ia remnants, Kepler's SNR, SNR G1.9.3 and Tycho's SNR. By comparing the results of my simulations with available X-ray observations I conclude that Kepler's SNR and SNR G1.9.3 may have exploded as supernovae inside planetary

nebulae (SNIPs), while Tycho's SNR was likely shaped by a dense iron 'bullet' ejected during the SN. This interpretation is based on the presence of "ear"-like shapes on the otherwise spherically symmetric supernova remnants

of these objects. I generalize these results and calculate the fraction of all SNeIa that may be classified as SNIPs, relying on three independent observational sources: the presence of variable Na absorption lines in some SNe Ia; the fraction of SNe Ia that have H emission lines; an inspection for ears of all supernova remnants (SNRs) in the Chandra SNR catalog. I show that at least 20% of all SNe Ia might have exploded inside planetary nebulae, and thus can be classified as SNIPs. This result has an implication on the ongoing debate of SN Ia explosion scenarios, as a SNIP events best explained by the core-degenerate scenario. I arrive to suggest that at least 20% of all SNe Ia might have exploded through the core-degenerate scenario, while the remaining, up to 80%, exploded through the double-degenerate scenario. In a separate research paper, I propose an explanation for the observed high-velocity component in the SN impostor 2009ip by introducing jets interaction with a bloated stellar envelope.